top of page


Room Booking in the SU and around campus

Clubs and Societies can hold all types of events in the Students’ Union, whether it’s a simple meeting or a night out in the Speakeasy. You can book any of the various spaces in the SU - all you need to do is be organised. All areas of the Union are free to book, with the exception of the Speakeasy if you want extra add-ons like a DJ. More info is available here.

In your capacity as a Club/Society member, you are expected to treat all SU and University staff with respect and courtesy when you use the Students' Union building on Elmwood Avenue, the Speakeasy Bar on the Lisburn Road, and any other facility across campus. Aggressive or abusive language will not be tolerated, nor will any other inappropriate or threatening behaviour. If you are asked to moderate your behaviour or leave the area, you should cooperate with these requests. If you feel you have been treated unfairly, you may raise this issue in writing to the Clubs and Societies team.

Remember that you are not permitted to bring your own alcohol into any space on campus, in the SU, or in the Speakeasy. This means that you can't run 'BYO' events. Alcohol is not permitted at all in SU Elmwood, but you can organise the provision of alcohol for on-campus events via Campus Food and Drink by emailing

Booking a room in the Students' Union


  • Sign up as a committee member here.

  • Once you have signed up and your committee year has begun, you will gain access to the SU Room Bookings system.

  • Sign into QOL using your student number and password.

  • On your QOL homepage, you will now see 'SU - Clubrooms' under Service Applications -> Admin.

  • Submit your room booking request and await confirmation. You must enter the details of any external/guest speakers where prompted.

Just be aware the Meeting Rooms are not bookable 9am-5pm as SU staff use them during the working day.



Booking a bar in the Student's Union

  • The Students’ Union bar is on the Lisburn Road, just around the corner from SU Elmwood.

  • You can submit bar booking requests via the Handbook here. Just make sure to read through the FAQs first!

Room bookings around campus

You can book certain rooms in other parts of the campus. The University takes care of these spaces, so you just need to email the central Room Bookings team on Just note that there may be a charge for the use of certain buildings on campus.

When booking rooms across campus, always remember:

  • Leave rooms exactly as you find them, and do not leave any rubbish behind. 

  • Dispose of anything you're throwing away in the appropriate general waste or recycling bin. Do not put glass in indoor recycling bins.

  • When making your booking, you must account for any time you need for set-up or take-down. So if your event begins at 1pm but you need to set up the room first, you need to book the room earlier (e.g. 12pm).

  • All catering to rooms on campus must be provided by Queen's Campus Food and Drink.

  • You might be asked to fill in a Risk Assessment for certain bookings. You then submit this to the Clubs and Societies team in the SU.

  • If your event is going to require cleaning, fire safety checks, or help from Queen's porters or Security, speak to the Clubs and Societies Coordinator. We can submit these requests on your behalf via PlanOn, the University's internal service booking service. You can find out more about PlanOn here. Just keep in mind that your Club/Society will be charged for these extra services.

bottom of page